The Mothers Day incident can be partially attributed to alcoholism.
I had been drinking red wine through the afternoon, post-lunch. I think that perhaps if I had been sober, the incident might not have occurred. I might have been able to be more aware of the consequences of my actions, might have been more in control of my emotions, might not have been so quick to anger. Might not have been so quick to jump into the established habit.
I think it may be time to have a break from the drink for a while. Last time I took such a break I lasted almost a year. It may be time to impose such a break again.
A break will help me to be more clear-headed in provocative situations like Sunday, will enable me to slow down and consider my reactions, to be able to put proper anger-management strategies into place.
After all, I owe it to my kids.