Thursday, May 16, 2019

No, Don't Make Excuses

Battered wives make excuses for their abusive husbands. "He did it because I provoked him", etc.
My wife too began to defend my abuse on Sunday.
"You mustn't do that to Dadda..." she said to my daughter.
Later she was trying to imagine how to reconcile the abuse by thinking - Leigh has been sick this weekend...Leigh is thinking about his own mum this weekend...but no.
None of those excuses can excuse the unacceptable behaviour of Sunday afternoon. None of those are even reasons to explain why it occurred. They are simply not true.
Nope. No-one needs to make excuses. I accept the responsibility that I was to blame for y choice to terrorise and traumatise my daughter that day.
This blog makes mention of factors that may explain the abusive behaviour: drunkenness, culture of screaming, etc etc. I have considered those factors carefully and can suggest strategies for improvement. By which I mean that those aren’t excuses, they’re factors to help me get to the bottom of my sickness.